Job Title: Finance and Compliance Manager
Bethnal Green Ventures is a leading early-stage ‘tech for good’ investor and accelerator. Our mission is to build a global community of great tech startups & founders which provide huge positive social impact and financial returns. Since 2012 we’ve backed over 90 startups with a social purpose through our accelerator programme, including Fairphone, DrDoctor, Open Utility, TalkLife, Run an Empire and many more.
We are currently raising our second investment fund and some of our activities are now regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Our portfolio will double in the next 3-5 years and our business and corporate structure is evolving to reflect our growing assets under management. To support the next phase of our growth we’re expanding our team to include a dedicated finance and compliance manager, to develop our existing systems and controls, improve our management information and ensure we comply with industry best practice.
While the core BGV team is small (we’re a dynamic bunch of eight people), our wider community includes over 60 live startups in our portfolio and over 100 mentors in our network. We work alongside our ventures in our co-working space at the Ministry of Startups in Shoreditch, which is home to a further 150 startups and freelancers.
BGV gives you the benefits of being in a small team whilst being part of a bigger community movement.
We are looking for a pragmatic and motivated management accountant to develop a robust approach to financial planning, reporting and regulatory compliance appropriate to our growing social investment business. You will work closely with the BGV partners responsible for Operations and Investment and our Team Organiser.
You will lead on designing and implementing a range of financial and risk management processes that reflect and adapt to our growing business using your previous experience. We’ll support you with a dedicated training budget and the advice of our external financial and regulatory partners to learn about aspects of this role that may be less familiar to you. In particular, you will be instrumental in our upcoming application for FCA authorisation as an Alternative Investment Fund Manager.
* Developing robust finance and regulatory compliance processes to manage risk as the business grows.
* Co-ordination of annual budgeting and re-forecasting processes along with preparation and analysis of quarterly management accounts.
* Responsibility for statutory accounts, company secretarial, Corporation Tax, VAT and other tax matters for BGV’s group entities.
* Day-to-day oversight of book-keeping and other financial tasks performed by BGV’s Team Organiser.
* Collation, review and submission of ongoing compliance information to the FCA.
* Supporting financial elements of strategic modelling, commercial partnerships and fundraising activity including fund structuring.
* Assisting with regular portfolio valuation exercises.
* Providing practical ad hoc advice to BGV startups about financial and accounting matters.
The ideal person will:
* Be fully ACA, ACCA or CIMA qualified.
* Demonstrate an ability to communicate financial, regulatory and risk matters in an engaging way to a range of audiences.
* Have experience of working to tight deadlines on multiple projects/tasks.
* Share our interest in technology, startups and social innovation - ideally with knowledge of the fund management sector.
* Have an affinity with BGV’s mission and values and be excited about the opportunity to work with socially motivated startups.
* Be team oriented, with a ‘can do’ and ‘hands on’ approach to helping out the wider BGV team wherever necessary.
What can we offer you?
* An amazing experience working alongside startups solving big social and environmental problems.
* The opportunity to build a growing social investment business’ finance function ‘from scratch’.
* Exposure to our growing network of alumni, mentors and investors.
* A great work environment and supportive team culture.
* Commitment to your personal development, and £1,000 per year training budget.
* 5% pension contribution.
* Flexible working.
We are committed to building a diverse community and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities and individuals with disabilities.
We are asking all applicants to apply through the Be Applied platform: https://www.beapplied.com/apply/1lhwPqce8G
The closing date for applications is 09:00 BST Tuesday 29th August 2017 1st interviews will take place between 8th and 11th September 2017 2nd interviews will take place 15th September 2017.