Job Title: Customer Service - Returns, Warranty, and Credit Support
Position closes 8/17/17 at 4:30 p.m. PDT
We are the Change We Seek
Imagine working for a company with a proven record of changing the world for the better. At Klean Kanteen we are dedicated to providing safe, high quality products that encourage a healthy lifestyle, sustainability and environmental awareness. Success in making reusable bottles part of everyday life has inspired Klean Kanteen to innovate a wide range of products good for both people and the planet. We are committed to model a better way of doing things, and have fun doing it.
Community & Giving
Klean Kanteen is a Certified B Corp and 1% for the Planet member. Certified B Corporations are leading a global movement to redefine success in business and meet rigorous and independent B Corp standards of performance, accountability, and transparency—which all guide our business day to day, and into the years ahead. A 1% for the Planet member since 2008, we donate 1% of total revenue to environmental organizations focused on shared values—health, sustainability, and environmental stewardship.
Klean Kanteen takes great pride in the company we keep. There are many hands-on opportunities for participation with our partners, ensuring that real relationships are fostered between Klean and the organizations we support. As part of that philosophy, Klean Kanteen has an active employee volunteer program that supports employees’ passion around giving back. We’ve climbed mountains, built homes, restored habitat, and carried water to support those who have none. From hiking supplies to NatureBridge students in the High Sierra to supporting dam removal with American Rivers, our people are encouraged to be as involved and committed as Klean Kanteen’s charitable dollars.
Klean Kanteen is family-run, and employee-owned. We have a tight-knit, fun, team-oriented culture, with a robust employee training and development program. With a casual office setting and open work environment, you’ll find most people in jeans and t-shirts. Most importantly, we’re all here to make a difference, and enjoy plenty of exciting challenges ahead.
Provides customer service support to all inbound customers inquiries, answers specific questions, provides product knowledge and information, resolves problems and escalates customers’ concerns through the appropriate channels. Additionally, this employee is an ambassador for Klean Kanteen and steward of our brand. As such, this person will provide information that will help the consumer get to know Klean Kanteen allowing them to make educated purchase decisions and value delivered by our products.
This position is important to Klean Kanteen since person interacts directly with our end consumers and customers. Excellent customer service can build sales and visibility for the company and distinguish us from our competitors.
Employee will work as a liaison between Klean Kanteens consumers, dealers, distributors, reps and channel managers, requiring a high degree of customer service orientation and close attention to detail.
Organizational Chart / Reporting Relationship:
Supervision Exercised: none
Supervision Received: Customer Service Manager
- Functions as key, direct contact for customers and end consumers. Interacts directly with customers by telephone, electronically or face to face.
- Works in close collaboration with ACM/CM, Sales Operations and Sales Director to ensure alignment and support for sales growth and strategies both in assigned channel and all channels as a backup.
- Provides high service levels to consumers, dealers, distributors, and rep agencies by ensuring calls and inquiries are handled efficiently and effectively.
- Communicates and collaborates effectively and efficiently with all departments and internal customers.
- Directs and escalates requests and unresolved issues to the designated, appropriate resource.
- Responds appropriately to consumer comments and questions regarding the product and company.
- Promotes Klean Kanteen initiatives on sustainability. Helps to demonstrate and convey our company’s vision and values for sustainability, environment awareness and impact, product design and purpose as well as the overall ethos and vision of our brand and company.
- Functions as a team member in the Sales Department. Ensures customer service coverage for entire department, especially during meetings and out of office times for other team members.
- Keeps Sales Ops and Web Master informed of any website issues brought to Klean’s attention by consumers or by own observation.
Duties / Responsibilities to accomplish Essential Functions:
Specific responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
Warranty, Returns and Credit Support:
- Communicates and manages warranty inquiries and claims for all sales channels.
- Processes credits and exchanges for all sales channels.
- Processes all inventory adjustments/corrections requested by inventory management.
- Second in line for operator, general voicemail and customer service calls.
- Provides customer service to all walk in customers.
- Collaborates with Quality, Product Development and Sales Operations to ensure fluid communication on all product feedback and reporting by customers, dealers, distributors and rep agencies.
- Runs weekly open order reports for RMA. Reports back to Sales Operations, Quality and Product Development.
- Provides backup to DTC and all other CS channels, as assigned.
General Customer Service:
- Responds promptly to customer inquiries and concerns
- Provides data entry using ERP, CRM or other customer data management system.
- Uses good, appropriate judgment in escalating and providing communication regarding cross-department or consumer issues. Works with a solutions-oriented mindset and a commitment to solve problems for the greater good of Klean Kanteen, our employees and our customers. Overall, this person puts the needs of the team, customer and company ahead of their own.
- Keeps manager, team members and other departments well informed of key issues, customer questions and ideas. Able to work cross-departmentally to gather necessary information and resolve issues.
- Able to respond to customers’ inquiries by demonstrating and utilizing excellent product knowledge, problem solving skills and independent thinking. Knows when to escalate issues or seek assistance and follows the process in place to do so.
- Manage and execute projects, as assigned.
- Applies Vendor Compliance knowledge to effectively execute all relevant requirements. Provides updated VC and Ship Guide manuals to Sales Operations/Operations Manager’s when received.
- Reports product issues and feedback received by consumers, dealers, distributors or rep agencies. Follows process and procedure for escalation.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- Follows and/or manages sales protocols, processes and procedures; continually seeks to identify improvement needs or opportunities for increased efficiencies and communicates these effectively.
- Effectively uses EDI and other Vendor portals.
- Applies critical thinking, suggests and collaborates on ideas for increasing efficiencies, process and procedure improvements. Works as a team to support and report back on all new process and procedure changes.
- Ensures orders, returns and credits are processed accurately and timely.
Leadership and collaboration:
- Applies critical thinking skills to proactively support the sales organization
- .Actively supports a culture of accountability while maintaining the camaraderie and friendly nature so valued by the staff and leadership team of Klean Kanteen.
- Actively participates in the development plan for the team as in their own professional growth plan
- Fosters a culture of transparency to the team, independent rep groups, retail partners, and consumers of Klean Kanteen.
Mission and Values:
- Is a champion and advocate of the mission in all actions and interactions with our customers, partners and staff.
- Actively supports Klean Kanteen values.
Knowledge, Skill and Ability:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Working knowledge of principles of business letter writing, report preparation, computer systems and related applications. Demonstrated skills in these areas.
- Proven customer service skills with internal and external customers both in-person and via other media such as email and telephone. Able to work under short deadlines as well as dynamic, potentially stressful customer service situations.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access). Basic knowledge of CRM; Ability to learn new systems, software, processes, etc.; Makes suggestions for improvements.
- Performs work in quality system environment.
- Must have excellent organizational skills; Ability to organize, plan and manage multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to make good decisions - think quickly, act decisively, inform others; Proven analytical, research, problem-solving and decision making skills; Demonstrated ability to understand and balance technical issues / solutions with time / cost / human factor.
- Organizational skills for efficient office control are mandatory; Able to work independently; self-starter and self-motivated.
- Understanding of UPS, USPS and other types of shipping methods;
- Social Networking sites and appropriate internet etiquette;
- Ability to communicate professionally with all types of customers, people at all levels of the organization and external contacts.
- Ability to prioritize, direct others, as needed and always maintain confidentiality.
- Understanding of Vendor Compliance and Shipping Regulations
Education or Formal Training:
- Minimum High School Graduate or G.E.D. equivalent.
Direct or relevant combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities in qualifying.
- Three to five years related experience in customer service strongly preferred;
- Experience with Windows-based business software applications, such as Word and Excel.
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
- Desktop PC, standard computer printers and faxes, copy machines and other office equipment.
Working Environment/Physical Activities:
- Standard business / cubicle environment
- Bending, and reaching forward, sideways, and overhead; Finger dexterity to perform functions on computer and access files.
- Sitting for long periods at a time
- Lifting up to 30 lbs, as necessary to perform job functions.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER / AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANT / VETERANS’ PREFERENCE POLICY / DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE