Job Title: Inside Sales Manager
SunCommon is a Benefit Corporation that is fueled by the belief that everyone has the right to a healthy environment and safer world. So we’re tearing down the barriers that have made renewable energy inaccessible with the goal of repowering our communities one home, school, and business at a time. To this end, we make going solar easy and affordable so that all Vermonters together can take part in creating a healthier environment.
About This Position:
SunCommon’s Inside Sales team plays a key role in our residential sales process. Team members qualify interested homeowners for solar, schedule home visits for our Solar Home Advisors, and sell Community Solar Array (CSA) shares in Vermont and western New York. The Inside Sales Manager oversees this growing team (currently 9 members) based in our Waterbury, VT office, and is responsible for achieving team goals and developing staff while advancing the Inside Sales program, driving growth, and generating sales. We seek an experienced Inside Sales professional with a proven track record leading a metric-driven sales team to reach goals.
This position requires a high level of sales and customer service experience and professionalism, and the ability to coach these skills in others. Since most communication with customers happens via phone and email, the Inside Sales Manager will be responsible for elevating the team’s communication skills through coaching and training, while staying true to SunCommon’s friendly, welcoming approach. Most customer interactions happen during normal work hours Monday-Friday, but we are there for our customers to follow up when they need us – which may include nights and weekends. Maintaining the team’s schedule to support potential customers and marketing events is an important component of the role. We’ll also need you to ensure accurate and detailed records of phone conversations and email communication with homeowners are kept in our CRM database.
The Inside Sales Manager will work closely with departments in both Vermont and New York as our business expands. The ability to handle multiple responsibilities and to communicate proactively and effectively across teams and locations is essential to the Inside Sales Manager’s success.
In this growing industry, new product and partnership opportunities, advances in technology and adjustments in regulations require the ability to change direction quickly with grace and enthusiasm. The Solar Advisor Inside Sales Manager will deliver updates to the team regularly regarding these changes.
Essential Job Functions:
Reporting to the Vice President of Marketing and Sales, the Inside Sales Manager is responsible for:
- Inside Sales Management. Including supervising employees, designing campaigns, imagining IT needs, managing data, maintaining metrics and meeting quantitative goals.
- Marketing/Sales Team Leadership. We expect significant growth and development of our marketing and sales program in the coming years, driven by a strong team of leaders working together to identify and meet the opportunities in front of us.
- Tracking and Analysis. Developing systems that provide for effective tracking and staff accountability in achieving goals. Ensuring team goals are met, primarily that inside sales goals are achieved, and Solar Home Advisors’ calendars are filled with highly qualified solar visits.
- Collaboration with Sales and Marketing Teams. The Solar Advisors work closely with teams in both VT and NY. Effective communication across departments is essential to the team’s success.
- Hiring and Training Staff. Providing on-boarding training as well as ongoing feedback and development. Creating and maintaining training materials. A considerable amount of time is spent coaching for performance by reviewing calls and emails with staff.
- Program Development. Imagining and implementing the new. The solar industry is constantly evolving – we call it the SolarCoaster – and our work has to evolve with it.
- Staff Development. Facilitating regular 1-1 and team meetings to provide group training and individual growth. Offering support and knocking down barriers to success by providing timely, thoughtful feedback and performance reviews. Helping staff identify strengths and opportunities for development on their career path.
We are looking for a strong, energetic Inside Sales Manager to bring these attributes:
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills. Ideal candidate will have managed staff/led teams with a focus on coaching to achieve goals and maintain high level of customer service.
- Goal-oriented. Attuned to key metrics and driven to deliver.
- 1-3 years experience effectively managing others in direct sales.
- 5-7 years experience in direct customer-facing sales, especially over the phone.
- Call center experience a plus, but not required.
- Strong and professional communication skills are needed. This includes the ability to speak clearly and articulately on the phone, and to write and edit clear and efficient emails.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Proficiency in using IT hardware (iPhone, MacBook), and software (MSOffice, Excel, CRM and file management) Salesforce/CRM experience a plus, but not required.
- An infectious passion for re-energizing our communities with renewable power.