13th July 2022
UK companies recognised as 2022 Best For The World™ for exceptional social and environmental impact
One in seven ‘Best for the World’ businesses based in UK as British B Corps reaffirm their status as global B Corp hotspot
165 UK businesses meeting high standards of social and environmental performance, transparency and accountability have been recognised as some of the highest impact businesses in the world in this year’s Best for the World from B Lab.
Best for the World from B Lab recognises the B Corps creating the greatest impact through their businesses. These B Corps are named Best for the World as their verified scores in the five impact areas evaluated on the B Impact Assessment are amongst the global top 5% for their size. The five impact areas are environment, community, customers, workers and governance. The UK has one of the largest, fastest growing B Corp communities in the world and makes up around 16% of this year’s the Best for the World list - meaning around one in five (20%) of the UK’s nearly 800 strong B Corp community have been featured.
Recognised Best for the World™ businesses span all sizes and sectors, and include:
- Household names Riverford, the organic veg box company, recognised in the workers category, food waste fighting veg box company Oddbox, and Divine Chocolate, recognised in the community category.
- BecomingX, a learning and development company co-founded by Bear Grylls to help people reach their potential, luggage company MadLug C.I.C, whose ‘buy one give one’ model supports care-leavers, and purpose-driven beer brand Brewgooder, whose business funds people and community projects around the world. All are recognised in the community category.
- Fifty Eight, who help companies and other organisations to identify and eradicate exploitation in their supply chains, is the only UK business recognised across three categories (customers, workers and governance).
- bio-bean, the world’s largest recycler of coffee grounds, recognised in the environment category and Ecologi, a social enterprise platform that empowers businesses and individuals to collectively reverse climate change.
- Digital transformation consultancy Kin + Carta, recognised in the governance category, the first B-Corp on the London Stock Exchange.
- Luxury accessories company Elvis & Kresse (recognised in the workers category) and charity fundraisers Real Fundraising (recognised in community & governance), are among the highest scorers in their respective industries.
Certified B Corporations, or B Corps, are companies verified by B Lab to meet high standards of social and environmental performance, transparency and accountability. They are committed to building an inclusive, equitable and regenerative economic system, joining a movement of organisations that believe in continuous improvement.
B Corps must verify a score of 80 through the B Impact Assessment to certify and with a maximum score of approximately 200, Best or the World spotlights the businesses creating the deepest impact on people, profit & planet.
B Corp Certification doesn’t just evaluate a product or service, it assesses the overall social and environmental impact of the company that stands behind it. To achieve B Corp Certification, a company must meet a score of at least 80 points on the B Impact Assessment, an evaluation of a company’s positive impact, and pass a risk review, an evaluation of a company’s negative impact; change their corporate governance structure to be accountable to all stakeholders, not just shareholders; and exhibit transparency by allowing information about their B Corp Certification performance to be publicly available on their B Corp profile on B Lab’s website.
B Corps recertify every three years and once certified, are expected to increase their score over time as they progress towards becoming more equitable, inclusive and regenerative businesses.
Chris Turner, Executive Director at B Lab UK, commented.
"B Corporations are proving that businesses flourish when they are committed to aligning the interests of all stakeholders: society, the environment, and their shareholders. Best for the World is the B Corp movement’s opportunity to spotlight the businesses that are pioneering business as a force for good. While there’s much more to be done to transform our economy to benefit all people, communities and the planet, the UK is becoming one of the world’s hotspots for better business. It’s a proud moment for our community, and an opportunity to challenge ourselves to go even further, faster.”
About B Lab: B Lab is transforming the global economy to benefit all people, communities, and the planet. A leader in economic systems change, our global network creates standards, policies, tools, and programs for business, and we certify companies — known as B Corps — who are leading the way. To date, our community includes 400,000 workers in over 5,000 B Corps across 80 countries and 155 industries, and more than 200,000 companies manage their impact with the B Impact Assessment and the SDG Action Manager. B Lab has created and led efforts to pass over 50 corporate statutes globally that enable stakeholder governance, with over 10,000 companies using the legal framework. To learn more and join the movement, visit www.bcorporation.net.
About B Lab UK: As part of this global non-profit network, B Lab UK’s purpose is to redefine success in business through building a community of engaged businesses, raising awareness of the B Corp movement and influencing change in the UK economy. Find out more.
B Lab Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org